Rules and Regulations
| Download Rules and Regulations
- Check-in time is after 3:00 p.m. Check-out time is before 11:00 a.m.
- Two week's notice in writing is required to the Front Desk if wishing to move out before the departure date. Failure to do so will result in a two-week room charge being levied. If the sessional or the monthly rate has been paid, the occupancy rate will be re-calculated at the monthly or weekly rate, whichever is applicable. If a roommate leaves early, the continuing resident may be relocated to a single room and will be charged at a single rate for the remainder of the stay.
- Quiet hours are from 10:00 pm to 9:00 am daily.
- CHESTNUT reserves the right to re-locate a resident from an assigned room given reasonable notice.
- Accommodation charges are due in advance. Failure to pay accommodation charges on time can result in an immediate lock change and the Occupant will be required to vacate the building. Outstanding charges and the cost of the lock change will be sent to a collection agency if the account is not settled before departure from the building.
- A resident may not change rooms nor may a resident sublet or permit someone to stay free of charge in his/her room.
- Visitors are not permitted between midnight and 9:00 a.m.
- The University of Toronto bears no responsibility for damage to or loss of a resident's private property. The University's insurance policies do not cover personal possessions.
- A resident is responsible for keeping all common areas (hallways, washrooms and common rooms) clean after use.
- A resident is responsible for keeping his/her linen clean. A resident and his/her roommate (in the case of a double room) are responsible for keeping the room clean. Any damage to or removal of furnishings, will be charged to the resident and to the roommate, in the case of a double room.
- If a key is lost a $30 replacement fee will be applied to your summer account.
- Properly identified Service Staff of the University may enter a Residence room at reasonable hours to affect necessary work.
- For safety reasons roller-blading and bicycles are not permitted in the hallways, nor are ball, frisbee and other missile games allowed on the premises. Bicycles must be located in the bicycle room on the concourse level.
- Smoking is not permitted in any residence area. The consumption of alcohol is prohibited in any public areas of the Residence, including the hallways and common rooms.
- For safety reasons use of electrical appliances such as kettles, hot plates, electric frying pans, woks, microwaves and ovens in the Residence rooms is prohibited.
- The following are not allowed in the Residences at any time: weapons, explosives, firearms, pets or illegal items.
- The Director or their designate has the right to require the immediate withdrawal of a resident from 89 Chestnut Residence (no refunds on accommodation charges will be issued) whose conduct could lead to the injury of others, who engages in threatening or aggressive behaviour towards staff or residents, who appears to have breached the Criminal Code of Canada, who fails to understand and comply with the University of Toronto Code of Conduct/ Policies or who fails to observe the regulations and practices of the Chestnut Residence.
- During seasonal periods of lower occupancy, the University of Toronto makes its residences, which are primarily available to students and occasionally to staff, also available to members of the traveling or vacationing public for short term stays. The terms of such temporary occupancies are solely as set out in the rules and regulations, which sets out the terms of your agreement, and which you should read carefully. Your occupancy may be terminated at any time in accordance with the agreement and no ongoing rights are created by the agreement.
- Internet connection will be accessible to currently registered U of T students. Other residents will need to complete the ResNet application and register for internet use.
Please note: If you have any questions/concerns about summer residence, you can talk to any of the front desk staff at 416 977 0707 ext 0 or email email@example.com.