- Open daily 7 am – 11 pm
- Forward calls to residence rooms, issue guest passes
- Manage lost and found, service request forms, and music room keys
- Receive registered mail and packages
Community safety is the shared commitment and responsibility of all staff and students at Chestnut Residence. The following systems are in place to keep our residence as safe as possible:
- On duty 24/7
- Patrol common areas and building exterior
- Check for key cards and guest passes
- Attend to emergencies
Keys / Guests
- Key cards and guest passes must be shown each time you pass the security desk
- Key card required to open your room door and to operate elevators
- Guests must show photo ID and be signed in
- You are responsible for your guests at all times
Don-on-Duty – (416) 791-0420
- On duty every night from 8 pm – 8 am
- Completes rounds of student floors and ensures quiet hours are respected
- Carries a cell phone and responds to student emergencies
- Available 7 Days a week/365 from dusk until dawn.
- Call 416-978-SAFE (7233) any time to arrange for patrollers to come to your location during service hours. It is also possible to arrange for regular walks with the same pick up location and time each week. For prompt service calling in advance is recommended. WalkSmart will escort students to any building on the St. George Campus, including Chestnut Residence, as well as surrounding TTC locations.
- call the Don-on-Duty (416) 791-0420
- call Front Desk – dial 0 from any residence room
- call Security – dial 3560 from any room
- 911 should be called only in the following cases:
- a life threatening emergency – e.g. someone is choking
- there is a fire in the building
- a significant crime is in PROGRESS – e.g. assault
- an immediate threat to life
Each room is cleaned weekly by a member of our housekeeping staff. Your housekeeping schedule will be given to you at the beginning of the year. In order to prepare for housekeeping to clean your room, please keep in mind the following things:
- Remove personal belongings from the floor so that they are able to vacuum the space. This includes any cables that might be in the way, and it is recommended that you keep your shoes tucked away as well.
- Your bathroom tub, toilet, and sink will be cleaned, and the available counter spaced will be cleaned as well, so long as housekeeping does not have to move any items. You are welcome to clear your counter if you would like it cleaned entirely.
- If you have any questions about cleaning please speak to your regular cleaning staff or to your Residence Don.
We have a dedicated team of in house maintenance staff that are here to help support the needs of students in their physical spaces. Maintenance requests can be submitted at any time on the Chestnut Residence Portal, and will be addressed in order of priority.
For an immediate maintenance emergency students can contact the front desk in order to request service.
- Due to a major telephone work, outside callers calling Chestnut will experience busy signal for approximately 15 minutes. This 15 minutes disruption will happen sometime between 12pm to 1pm on Tuesday June 6th.
- Due to a major telephone work, outside callers calling Chestnut will experience busy signal for approximately 15 minutes. This 15 minutes disruption will happen sometime between 12 pm to 1pm on Monday June 16th.
We apologize for any convenience this may cause.
Wireless internet is now available throughout the building on the University of Toronto network, and we also offer a hardware for a high speed wired connection if students so desire.
Your Internet Access
- Internet set-up
- Get your computer ready for Chestnut
- UofT Bandwidth Usage Classification History List
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wired connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wireless connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Quarantined List
- U of T Antivirus
- Microsoft Update website
- Wireless Access
- Illegal download and/or distribution of copyrighted materials will result in denial of internet
- Complete Network Usage Agreement – Schedule C
- Extension 3182
- Email: email@example.com
*Alternating weeks (Closed on statutory holidays)
- Available in each room
- All local calls included
- Voicemail account for each student
- Set up your voicemail account as soon as you move in
For safety reasons, bicycles are not permitted in student rooms. You can store your bike in 1 of 2 rooms located on the concourse level.
Register your bike at the Front Desk and they will program your key card to allow access to bike rooms.
Remember to keep your bike locked up, even in the bike room.