- Open daily 7 am – 11 pm
- Forward calls to residence rooms, issue guest passes
- Manage lost and found, service request forms, and music room keys
- Receive registered mail and packages
Community safety is the shared commitment and responsibility of all staff and students at Chestnut Residence. The following systems are in place to keep our residence as safe as possible:
- On duty 24/7
- Patrol common areas and building exterior
- Check for key cards and guest passes
- Attend to emergencies
Keys / Guests
- Key cards and guest passes must be shown each time you pass the security desk
- Key card required to open your room door and to operate elevators
- Guests must show photo ID and be signed in
- You are responsible for your guests at all times
Don-on-Duty – (416) 791-0420
- On duty every night from 8 pm – 8 am
- On duty 24 hours on the weekend
- Completes rounds of student floors and ensures quiet hours are respected
- Carries a cell phone and responds to student emergencies
- Available 7 Days a week/365 from dusk until dawn.
- Call 416-978-SAFE (7233) any time to arrange for patrollers to come to your location during service hours. It is also possible to arrange for regular walks with the same pick up location and time each week. For prompt service calling in advance is recommended. WalkSmart will escort students to any building on the St. George Campus, including Chestnut Residence, as well as surrounding TTC locations.
- call the Don-on-Duty (416) 791-0420
- call Front Desk – dial 0 from any residence room
- call Security – dial 3560 from any room
- 911 should be called only in the following cases:
- a life threatening emergency – e.g. someone is choking
- there is a fire in the building
- a significant crime is in PROGRESS – e.g. assault
- an immediate threat to life
Each room is cleaned weekly by a member of our housekeeping staff. Your housekeeping schedule will be given to you at the beginning of the year. In order to prepare for housekeeping to clean your room, please keep in mind the following things:
- Remove personal belongings from the floor so that they are able to vacuum the space. This includes any cables that might be in the way, and it is recommended that you keep your shoes tucked away as well.
- Your bathroom tub, toilet, and sink will be cleaned, and the available counter spaced will be cleaned as well, so long as housekeeping does not have to move any items. You are welcome to clear your counter if you would like it cleaned entirely.
- If you have any questions about cleaning please speak to your regular cleaning staff or to your Residence Don.
We have a dedicated team of in house maintenance staff that are here to help support the needs of students in their physical spaces. Maintenance requests can be submitted at any time on the Chestnut Residence Portal, and will be addressed in order of priority.
For an immediate maintenance emergency students can contact the front desk in order to request service.
Telephone system disruption – Monday August 20th, between 9am to 11am
The telephone voicemail and recorded voice messages for all rooms will be cleared between 9am to 11am on Monday August 20th, 2018.
Residents are required to review and note down all important messages they wish to keep prior to this maintenance. After maintenance completion, residents may proceed to setup their telephone voicemail and record a personal greeting.
Thank you for your understanding during this maintenance period!
Wireless internet is now available throughout the building on the University of Toronto network, and we also offer a hardware for a high speed wired connection if students so desire.
Your Internet Access
- Internet set-up
- Get your computer ready for Chestnut
- UofT Bandwidth Usage Classification History List
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wired connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wireless connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Quarantined List
- U of T Antivirus
- Microsoft Update website
- Wireless Access
- Illegal download and/or distribution of copyrighted materials will result in denial of internet
- Complete Network Usage Agreement – Schedule C
- Extension 3182
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Closed during the university winter break
- Available in each room
- All local calls included.
- you will be charged on ACORN for long distance calls
- Set up your voicemail account as soon as you move in
- Voicemail account for each student
- Dial 45 and follow the instructions!
ShuffleSpace – An all-inclusive packing and storage service
Store Your Dorm – A short-term storage service
Residence Linens – A selection of bed linens as well as bath and kitchen essentials
Bed Bath & Beyond – A varied selection of home goods, including bedding, kitchenware, towels & decor items
*Please note that these are external vendors and are not part of Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre or the University of Toronto.
There is a common quiet study space with beautiful views.
There are private bookable study spaces perfect for group assignments.
- Open 24/7 with pay-per-use washers and dryers.
- Machines are operated with a loadable laundry card.
- 1 load of laundry is $2.25, 1 load in the dryer is $1.75
For safety reasons, bicycles are not permitted in student rooms. You can store your bike in 1 of 2 rooms located on the concourse level.
Register your bike at the Front Desk and they will program your key card to allow access to bike rooms.
Remember to keep your bike locked up, even in the bike room.